Wednesday, September 17, 2008

An Odd Apology

As some of you may know, I am an aspiring sports journalist, for either print or broadcast (maybe both...tee hee). Anyway, I have been more sensitive lately to the things that sports journalists and broadcasters do and say. Probably has something to do with this class...
Anyway, I was watching the Monday Night Football game on ESPN (AFTER I went to FHE, for all of you who wish to question my motives...ha ha). It just hapened to coincide with the NFL's recognition of Hispanic Heritage Month. As such, they played the Spanish announcer's call of a play coming out of a commercial. That's where it got interesting...
Tony Kornheiser, the quasi-comic relief in the booth, said after the Spanish call, "I took high school Spanish, either he said he's not going to be caught, or please pick up my dry cleaning tomorrow." I thought it was funny, since I served a Spanish-speaking mission and I currently teach Spanish at the MTC, and know what it's like to have no idea what's going on.
Apparently, someone thought it was, in the words of the Commish, "funny faux pas, not funny ha-ha", because Kornheiser then issued this odd apology later in the game: "I said something before which I shouldn't have said, I apologize for it. Not my first mistake, undoubtedly won't be my last, but a 100% apology." Huh?
I suppose it's just Tony trying to be extra-cautious, since it isn't his first mistake: he's gotten into hot water with ESPN before over comments about their awards show, The ESPY's. Still, I think he had no need to apologize for this one. There was no malicious intent. Just shows the kind of world we live in, where everyone takes offense to everything.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that the world has become hypersensitive with certain things, but that was pretty dumb. Say it with your friends--funny. Say it on national TV--funny, but potentially offensive.

    ReplyDelete