Monday, August 17, 2009

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

What can you buy for $4.2 million? I googled it. No, really, I did! Some of my personal favorites: a dog tiara, a whole mess of pot and pot-growing equipment in Canada, and a shady painting found in an attic.
But no.....the Cubs found something else to spend that kind of money on:


Yeah, yeah. I know it seems like he's still having a better year than Kerry Wood. I know he has 23 saves compared to Kerry Wood's 15 in Cleveland. I know he has 58 strikeouts in 58 appearances and that his WHIP is .08 lower than Woody.

I dug deeper tonight after Greggers got shellacked by the LAST PLACE PADRES!

Blown Saves: Wood, 5. Gregg, 6.
Hits allowed: Wood, 37. Gregg, 50.

Runs allowed: Wood, 22. Gregg, 30.

Losses: Wood, 3. Gregg, 5.

Here's the kicker that reared its ugly head tonight in the form of Kyle (Don't call him Billy) Blanks:

Home Runs Allowed: Wood, 7. Gregg, 12!

12 Home Runs for a closer?!? Unacceptable. Especially when you consider that FOUR have come in August, in addition to three of the six blown saves.

At least Gregg has the chutzpah to admit it:

"It's just making stupid mistakes. Seeing something in a hitter and not executing it. The bottom line is getting people out. It doesn't matter how you do it. I could throw underhand. If they get out, I don't care. They hit three line drives and they're out, I don't care. The biggest thing is just getting people out and I didn't today."

Hold off on that underhand, buddy. Please.

Just to put it in perspective, Kevin Correia, the Padres' starter tonight, has also given up 12 home runs this season. He, however, has pitched 140.2 innings as opposed to Gregg's 56.1 innings. It's not like Correia is Lincecum-esque or anything. He's 8-9 with a 4.41 ERA.

I admire Sweet Lou's refusal to take this lightly:

"I think we are going to make some changes as far as what we're going to do late innings. We'll see what we do. I'm going to think about it tonight."

Trouble is, who else do we have? Marmol's stuff has fizzled. Maybe we can move Dempster out of the rotation? Angel Guzman?

Whatever the answer is, the Cubbies need to find it.

Fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment